Highlights | U.S. News & World Report “Best Hospital” Rankings
- UW Medical Center was again ranked the No. 1 hospital in Washington state and the Seattle metro area.
- UW Medical Center ranked in the top 50 hospitals nationally in six specialties and “high performing” in five other specialties. The hospital also received high performing recognition in 14 common care procedures and conditions.
- Harborview Medical Center and Valley Medical Center also received national recognition.
UW Medicine hospitals were once again recognized in both national and local rankings by U.S. News & World Report in its latest “Best Hospitals” rankings. The annual “Best Hospitals” rankings are designed to assist patients and their doctors in making informed decisions about where to receive care for challenging health conditions or for common elective procedures.
UW Medical Center was again named the No. 1 hospital in Washington state and the Seattle metro area. It’s the 10th consecutive year in which UW Medical Center has earned this distinction and the first year that data from both campuses — Montlake and Northwest — have contributed to the ranking.
Adult specialty rankings
In the adult specialty rankings, UW Medical Center ranked nationally in six specialties:
- #5 Rehabilitation
- #10 Diabetes & Endocrinology
- #27 Cancer Care
- #31 Ear, Nose & Throat
- #37 Orthopedics
- #39 Gynecology
Harborview Medical Center ranked #32 nationally in Rehabilitation.
UW Medicine hospitals also received “high performing” rankings in several adult specialties. High performing hospitals in the specialty rankings are the top 10% of eligible hospitals who are not otherwise ranked in the top 50.
UW Medical Center received high performing rankings in Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Neurology & Neurosurgery, Pulmonology & Lung Surgery and Urology.
Harborview Medical Center received a high performing ranking in Orthopedics.
Valley Medical Center received a high performing ranking in Neurology & Neurosurgery.
Common adult procedures and conditions ratings
In addition to its inpatient specialty care rankings, U.S. News also rates hospitals on 17 relatively common adult procedures and conditions to provide consumers with information related to more routine inpatient care. For these rankings, UW Medicine hospitals received high performing (the highest ranking) in the following:
- UW Medical Center: Aortic Valve Surgery, Back Surgery (Spinal Fusion), Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Colon Cancer Surgery, Diabetes, Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Kidney Failure, Knee Replacement, Lung Cancer Surgery, Pneumonia, Stroke and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR).
- Harborview Medical Center: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Pneumonia and Stroke.
- Valley Medical Center: Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Kidney Failure, Knee Replacement, Pneumonia and Stroke.
“These high rankings are a tribute to the incredible work of all our UW Medicine staff and physicians, especially as we continued to work through the COVID-19 pandemic. I feel privileged and proud to be part of this team,” says Lisa Brandenburg, president of UW Medicine Hospitals & Clinics.
For the 2021-22 rankings and ratings, U.S. News evaluated more than 4,500 medical centers nationwide in 15 specialties and 17 procedures and conditions. In the 15 specialty areas, 175 hospitals were ranked in at least one specialty.